Leading the Way
Leading the Way:
A leadership development series
The Department of Human Resources Learning and Development group supports King County employees in fulfilling the County's Investing in YOU strategic plan for becoming a best-run government. A primary focus is to support "people leaders" to develop fundamental skills and ways of thinking that foster great leadership, grounded in equity.
The Leading the Way training series provides a foundation of great leadership by developing the necessary building blocks with these core modules.
To get the most out of the learning experience, it is recommended (not required) to take the three foundational courses in the following order if possible: Leader Mindset, Leading for Well-being, Equity and Leadership.
- Leader Mindset: Leading a team starts with understanding yourself and your responsibility to create a team culture of belonging where all employees can thrive. A strong foundation with a focus on team is set in Leadership Cornerstones: trust, stability, compassion, and hope. Offered monthly, enroll here.
- Leading for Well-being: It’s never been more important for leaders to model and foster well-being so employees can develop their potential, be creative, build positive relationships, and make meaningful contributions. Integrating well-being and belonging are crucial for a thriving workforce to navigate change and challenges effectively for a values-based culture. Offered every other month, enroll here.
- Equity and Leadership: Created in partnership with the Office of Equity and Social Justice, Equity and Leadership is designed to support participants’ ability to recognize the role that race and racism have on disparities in our workforce and to understand the responsibility for people leaders to create racially equitable work environments for their teams. This course is part of Leading the Way, as well as the Equity and Social Justice training series. Offered monthly Jan - May, then every other month, Jul - Nov, enroll here.
- Building High Trust Cultures: Trust is a crucial component to successful interpersonal and team dynamics, As a Leadership Cornerstone, building trust fosters a culture of belonging and engagement, which are impacted by social identities. Using age/generation as an illustrative example, this course shows that effective workplaces rely on a foundation of trust. Offered every other month, enroll here.
- Leader Learning Labs are facilitated forums for county leaders to practice core skills and dive deeper into Leadership Development and Equity, Racial & Social Justice topics. To foster equitable workplaces and thriving teams, each session will cover a different leader concept, while highlighting one county value. Offered monthly, enroll here.
NEOGOV training, online self-paced eLearning
Intended to be practiced with the principles and ideals in Leading the Way foundational courses and True North and Values, Supervisor Nuts & Bolts covers topics on policies, processes, and resources that support supervisors and managers in their role as leaders.
Supervisor Nuts & Bolts: A collection of on-demand videos about the basics of King County resources available to you and your teams such as Employee Assistance Program and Making Life Easier (EAP/MLE), Balanced You, and True North and Values. It also contains initiatives, processes, and policies on topics such as the Equity and Social Justice Strategic Plan, Code of Ethics, Domestic Workplace Violence and more! Access these videos in NEOGOV by using single sign-in or the NEOGOV desktop icon, click “Training” on the left and search “Supervisor Nuts & Bolts” in the Course Catalog.
Questions? Email us at KCTraining@kingcounty.gov