Puyallup-Kit Corner Landfill – Landfill Gas Control Improvements
King County Green Bonds
The 20-acre landfill closed in the mid-1960s with a soil cover. An active gas collection and air-sparging treatment system using carbon filtration treatment was installed. In 2014, the carbon filtration was removed and replaced with dispersion venting. An engineered tree cover system was subsequently installed to enhance the cover performance. Groundwater and landfill gas treatment and monitoring are in place.
- Evaluate efficiencies of the landfill gas control system;
- Determine whether additional groundwater treatment is needed to ensure continued decrease in groundwater impacts;
- Conclude improvements and provide property for secondary beneficial use.
Key environmental attributes
- Groundwater quality improvements to meet regulatory compliance that are protective of human health and the environment, through improvements to the environmental control systems;
- Reduce the potency of GHG emissions to the greatest extent feasible, through the collection and treatment of landfill gases;
- Achieving the above goals in order to minimize or terminate post-closure activities.
Green Bonds: 2017-Series A
$0.3m Green Bond Proceeds spent
In progress GHG emissions MTCO2e/yr
In progress water quality metrics