Barton roadside rain gardens
A King County CSO control facility, located in West Seattle
King County is responsible for regular maintenance of the roadside rain gardens year round. You can expect to see crews onsite at least monthly performing regular maintenance. Expect more frequent visits before and after large storms, and during the summer growing season.
Here is what crews will be doing:
- Monitoring plant health
- Removing weeds
- Monitoring drainage
- Removing debris and trash
- Clearing curb inlets and gutters
- Caring for the pipes and deep wells
- Gathering ongoing information on the performance of roadside rain gardens
Download the Roadside Rain Garden Maintenance Schedule and Tasks , which includes two schedules (pages 2 and 3):
- Establishment Maintenance Schedule - through Summer 2017
- Routine Maintenance Schedule - starting Fall 2017
Operations and Maintenance (O&M) Manual, September 14, 2015. This document is available to download as two separate files:
The long-term goal is to maintain the roadside rain gardens in line with the “acceptable maintenance .
King County has installed curb markers on every block with information on how to contact the County with questions or concerns about the rain gardens. Please call 206-263-3801 if you see:
- Ponding water that lasts longer than 24 hours after it has stopped raining
- Spills or contamination
- Other major concerns
Roadside rain garden neighbors
If you see a piece of trash, please pick it up. Thank you for your ongoing care of the roadside rain gardens in your neighborhood. You are doing your part to protect the health of Puget Sound!