Health Support Programs
Sometimes you need extra support to help you understand a new diagnosis, manage a chronic condition, or handle an illness you thought was under control. King County employee medical plans offer assistance through the programs below. These programs offer a combination of on-demand resources along with trained health care professionals who provide the help you need, either through video visits or phone calls. Many of the programs provide equipment that help you track your progress in managing your health, where appropriate. All the programs are free and can be customized to your needs and your schedule.
For Regence and Kaiser Permanente Members
The Omada Diabetes Prevention Program is open to employees and family members age 18+ who are covered by a King County medical plan, including Kaiser Permanente Washington, Regence KingCare, and Regence KingCare Select.
Omada offers an online diabetes prevention program that provides you with the tools and support you need to reach your health goals, whether that’s losing weight or improving your overall health. The program includes:
- A personalized health plan: They'll help you build healthy routines around what you love to do, and where you want the most support.
- Health coach: You'll be matched with a dedicated health coach and certified nutritionist to support your need to get going and keep going.
- Smart health devices: Based on your needs, you'll get devices to track how you eat, sleep, move, and feel, including a wireless smart scale.
- Interactive weekly lessons, peer support, and a toolkit to help you monitor your progress.
Part of the enrollment process includes taking a brief health questionnaire to see if you are at risk for Type 2 diabetes.
For more information, to watch a video, and to sign up for the program, go to Omada Health.
Do you have an ongoing health condition? Better Choices, Better Health offers strategies to manage chronic conditions such as anxiety, asthma, pain, depression, diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, kidney disease, and more.
This six-week online program will help you gain skills to take care of yourself and improve your well-being. You’ll be part of a group of people who are experiencing similar health challenges. Together, you’ll learn how to complete small, achievable steps toward healthier living.
Better Choices, Better Health workshops are offered at no cost to all King County employees and their family members who are covered by a King County medical plan, including Kaiser Permanente Washington, Regence KingCare, and Regence KingCare Select.
As a workshop participant, you will:
- Learn practical ways to deal with your health challenge from trained leaders with similar health issues.
- Log on each week when it’s convenient for you.
- Get new content each week to build your self-management skills.
- Receive a copy of the book Living a Healthy Life with Chronic Conditions.
For Regence Members
AbleTo is an online behavioral health program offered to Regence BlueShield members who are enrolled in either the KingCare or KingCare Select medical plan.
AbleTo is for individuals who have both mental and medical health needs. The program helps people manage the stress, anxiety, and depression associated with a medical condition, such as chronic pain, high blood pressure, heart attack or diabetes, or a recent life event, such as divorce, job loss, or loss of a loved one. The program provides support from licensed therapists, behavioral coaches, and digital tools and activities.
AbleTo identifies and contacts members who qualify for this program. Participation is free and voluntary. Participants meet one-on-one with a licensed therapist and behavioral health coach who guide them through a personalized eight-week program proven to reduce depression, stress, and anxiety. The program uses evidence-based Cognitive Behavioral Therapy methods to teach you skills designed to help you feel better and live better.
The Regence Pregnancy Program is available to employees and covered family members in the Regular and Transit ATU 587 benefit groups.
If you are a parent-to-be, this maternity care program can provide information and support throughout your pregnancy.
What the program offers:
- 24/7 access to a toll-free nurse advice line
- A maternity nurse care manager to provide support and education
- Help understanding and following advice from your doctor
- Answers to your questions about pregnancy and giving birth
- Seasonal pregnancy newsletters
- Access to the Regence Pregnancy Program app, which offers additional tips and tracking tools
For additional information, see the Regence Pregancy Program flyer. To enroll, call 888-JOY-BABY (888-569-2229). A maternity nurse may also reach out to you by phone if you are expecting a child.
The Omada Diabetes Management Program is open to employees and family members age 18+ who are covered by the Regence KingCare and Regence KingCare Select medical plan who have a diagnosis of Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes.
The Omada Diabetes Management Program provides 24/7 access to support and tools to help you say on top of diabetes, including:
- Specialized coaching from a certified diabetes specialist, available 24/7 through the app
- Free connected glucometer and testing supplies for monitoring your glucose levels
- Weekly interactive lessons
- Immediate feedback and ability to track your progress using a personalized dashboard
- Diabetes-specific peer group and communities: Real-time encouragement, empathy, and accountability
The program starts by sending you a continuous glucose monitor for two-weeks of continuous monitoring of you blood glucose. This provides a wealth of information for you and your diabetes coach to learn from.
To get more information, watch a video, and enroll, go to Omada Health.
Please note that Regence members are also eligible for the Diabetes Prevention Program, which you can access through the same enrollment link.
Note: TEA-DOT union members enrolled in KingCare PPO or KingCare Select plans are not eligible for this program.
SpecifiCare is a clinical care support program offered to employees in the Regular and Transit ATU 587 benefit groups who are enrolled in the Regence KingCare and KingCare Select medical plans.
A SpecifiCare nurse is available any time, day or night, to offer confidential support to you or your caregiver if you have a chronic or serious illness or condition that requires complex care, or if you recently received hospital care.
With SpecifiCare, a nurse is assigned specifically to you and is supported by a multi-disciplinary team that includes a pharmacist, social workers, behavioral health experts, and a physician medical director.
Examples of the types of assistance you can receive:
- Your nurse will prepare you for an upcoming procedure and follow up with you to support your recovery help coordinate health services for you.
- A nurse will support if you suffered injuries from an accident or were diagnosed with a complex condition, such as cancer or chronic kidney disease.
- If you are managing a chronic condition, such as diabetes, asthma, or coronary artery disease, a nurse can help identify things that can supplement or support your care.
- If you are expecting a new baby, a nurse may reach out to you with information to help you manage your maternity experience.
If you or a family member would like to speak to a Regence SpecifiCare nurse, call 866-543-5765, 7 a.m.–6 p.m. Monday–Fri PST, or email Regence Case Management. All information is confidential and will not be shared with King County.
A SpecifiCare nurse may reach out to you by phone to offer assistance. Your SpecifiCare team is trained to help you navigate the health care system and assist you in coordinating your care.
For Kaiser Permanente Members
A new care plan feature on the Kaiser Permanente Washington app called Virtual First, engages members virtually in their own care. Virtual First provides interactive educational content, tracking tools and self-management strategies to help you better manage your health.
There are targeted care pathways to treat the following conditions:
- Diabetes Type 2
- Back care
- Total Joint Replacement care
This program is completely integrated with your Kaiser Permanente care team. If you report worsening symptoms through the app, your care team will be automatically notified, and they will respond to you with next steps. You can customize how you want to receive notifications.
Your doctor identifies whether you’re eligible for the programs and invites you to participate.
For more information, ask your doctor, message your care team, or start a Care Chat at Kaiser Permanente.