Commuting by bus and train
Your King County employee ID/ORCA card allows you to ride free on all regular bus and train service provided by Metro Transit, Sound Transit, Community Transit, Pierce Transit, Kitsap Transit, and Everett Transit.
Rail Plus partnership with Amtrak Cascades
Your ID/ORCA card can be used as fare on specific Amtrak trips between Seattle and Everett. This agreement between Sound Transit and Amtrak covers two northbound trips (#510 at 7:40 a.m. and #516 at 6:50 p.m.) and two southbound trips (#513 at 10:02 a.m. and #517 at 8:59 p.m.).
Rail Plus Trains are run by Amtrak Cascades and will only serve Sounder stations at King Street, Edmonds, and Everett (not Mukilteo) (see Sounder schedule). To use your ID/ORCA card on these trips, get a Rail Plus validation ticket from the ticket vending machines at the train station by following these steps:
- Select your destination. Choose the group of stations that includes your destination, and then choose the specific station.
- Select the Amtrak Rail Plus button in the bottom right corner.
- Insert your ORCA card in the card reader.
- Pick up the Amtrak Rail Plus ticket from the tray below.
Trip planning tools
Here are some resources that may be helpful in planning your bus trip.
- Metro Online Regional Trip Planner
- Metro Regional Transit Map
- Real-Time Bus Tracking Information
- Metro Online
Find information about other transit agencies on Metro Transit’s Travel Options page.