I found a stray pet
Have you found a stray animal that you're not sure what to do with? Here are a few simple steps you can take to help get the animal returned to its owner.
Step-by-Step Instructions on Dealing with a Stray
- If you can safely do so, check to see if the animal has a license or identification tag. Owners will often put a phone number directly on the tag or collar. You may be able to reunite the lost pet with its owner without having to call us.
- If the pet is wearing a Regional Animal Services of King County (RASKC) license tag, call the number on the tag (206-296-2712) and have the six-digit license number available. When you call, you will either reach our pet licensing staff or our automated voice response system. Give the license number to our staff, or enter the number when prompted by the automated system. You will be given the pet owner's phone number so you can contact them directly to return their pet.
- Check the Lost Pets database to see if the animal you found has been reported missing by its owner.
- If the animal is not aggressive and you would like to keep it in your home until its owner is located, click the Report a Found Pet button above. Please provide as much information as you can in your report, including a picture of the animal if possible. If you are unable to complete a Found Pet Report online, call us at 206-296-7387 and we will help you complete a report. Note: All pets should be scanned for a microchip and a picture should be provided to help get them home. Many veterinary clinics will scan a stray pet for a microchip upon request. If you are not able to upload a picture when submitting a Found Pet Report, please bring the pet to the Pet Adoption Center in Kent. We will take a picture and scan the pet for a microchip.
- If you are unable to keep the animal in your home, bring it to the Pet Adoption Center in Kent or your local animal shelter. Since we are the animal control provider for much of King County, most owners will check our facility first. We will hold the pet through its stray holding period. If unclaimed, the animal's temperament and health will be assessed for entry into our adoption program.
- For your safety, do not attempt to approach an aggressive and/or scared animal. If you can safely contain the lost animal in your yard, your garage, or a kennel, please call us at 206-296-7387 and one of our officers will pick the animal up. Animal control officer hours are 7:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. seven days a week.
Keep in Mind If you are successful in locating the stray pet's owner, please call us at 206-296-7387 or email us at LostPets@kingcounty.gov so we can close out the lost and/or found report(s).