Skip to main content

Family Law Facilitators

If you do not have an attorney, our Family Law Facilitators can provide guidance through a family law process.

Family Law Facilitators help you get the information and forms you need to navigate your Family Court process. Although we can review your completed forms, we cannot fill them out for you. We also provide free information about family law court procedures and instructions for filling out family law paperwork.

If you are not represented by an attorney and know what kind of legal action you need, we can help you with the forms for:

  • Divorce or legal separation
  • Family law motions
  • Child support modifications
  • Establishing a parenting plan
  • Minor guardianship
  • Adult guardianship
  • Invalidity or annulment
  • Temporary order
  • Enforcing court orders
  • Parenting plan modifications
  • Child support adjustment
  • Restraining orders

We cannot:

  • Help with other types of legal matters outside of these Family Court actions.
  • Provide legal advice.
  • Help you if you already have a lawyer. 

Make an appointment

Facilitators will not answer questions or give information by phone or email without a scheduled appointment. We also cannot provide legal advice. If you are unable to appear during walk-in hours to schedule an appointment, you can do so online.

Schedule an in-person or virtual appointment with a Facilitator

Family Law Help Desk

Representatives at our help desk at the can answer your questions, and give you forms or instructions. They can also schedule appointments for you.

Walk-In hours

9 am to noon and 1 to 4 pm, Monday through Thursday

Walk-in customers are seen on a first-come, first-served basis. The location and hours for the help desk in each courthouse can be found by selecting a specific day below


Highlight Banner

Upcoming Closures:

Please be aware that the Seattle Family Law Help Desk will be closed on Tuesday, February 6, 2024 due to staffing constraints. Additionally, on Tuesday, February 13, 2024, Help Desk will be open during the afternoon (1-4) only. Walk-in hours for Kent (Monday and Wednesday) will remain as regularly scheduled.
  • Walk-in services available at Kent location only
    • Help desk located at A-1222 (Across from the Family Law Courtrooms on the First Floor)
    • In-person, Zoom, or phone appointments for this location are scheduled Tuesdays and Thursdays.

  • Walk-in services available at Seattle location only
    • Help desk located at W-291 (Same hallway as Family Law Courtrooms on the Second Floor)
    • In-person, Zoom, or phone appointments for this location are scheduled Mondays and Wednesdays.

  • Walk-in services available at Kent location only
    • Help desk located at A-1222 (Across from the Family Law Courtrooms on the First Floor)
    • In-person, Zoom, or phone appointments for this location are scheduled Tuesdays and Thursdays.

  • Both locations are closed for walk-ins. Scheduled appointments only.

  • Both locations are closed for walk-ins. Scheduled appointments only.

How to prepare for your appointment

In-person appointments

You must complete your forms to the best of your ability and bring them with you to your appointment.

Virtual appointments

You must provide copies of your paperwork to the facilitators by email at least 1 day before your appointment. You will receive copies of your paperwork with your appointment confirmation. Please send whole documents in PDF or Word format. Links or pictures are not accepted.

At your Facilitator appointment

We can:

  • Review paperwork you have completed or partially completed.
  • Identify and help locate state or local forms to use in Family Law or guardianship cases.
  • Explain the steps (procedures) you must complete to respond to court pleadings or notice of a court hearing filed by the other party.
  • Provide instruction and review for how to prepare for an upcoming Family Law or Guardianship trial if you schedule your appointment after your pre-trial conference and have a case schedule order available for review.
  • Compute child support calculations.

We cannot:

  • Fill out forms for you.
  • Tell you what to write in your forms or declarations.
  • Represent a party in court.
  • Assist attorneys or anyone who is represented by an attorney.
  • Give legal advice.

We cannot provide assistance with the following types of cases:

  • Adoptions
  • Wills or Probate cases
  • Landlord-Tenant (Eviction) cases
  • Civil lawsuits
  • Bankruptcy
  • Criminal cases
  • CHINS (Child in Need of Services)
  • ARY (At-Risk Youth)
  • Protection Orders
  • Establishing Parentage
  • Appeals

Your appointment will be cancelled if you schedule for a consultation the Facilitators are unable to provide.

Ending your case by agreement or default

If both parties are self-represented and you want to end the case by agreement, or if the other party has not responded and you want to finish your case by default, you must set an appointment with us. We cannot help you during walk-in hours.

Complete your paperwork

You must complete all of your paperwork before the Facilitator can assist you. If submitting agreed final orders, unless the Respondent waived notice or you are finalizing by default, both parties must sign all final documents. Note that your proposed orders are different from the documents you filed to start your case.

At the appointment, we will review your proposed final orders. If all documents are complete and ready, we will process the documents and get them signed by a judicial officer. This can take up to a week. Once your papers are signed, this will end your case.

If you do not complete or sign your paperwork

If your papers are incomplete or unsigned, you will be given directions on how to fix any issues and will have to set a return appointment.

Finalizing by default

If you are finalizing by default, you must file the proof of service documents. If the Respondent has not had the appropriate amount of time to respond since being served, you will not be able to finalize your case.

Learn more about attorney referrals on the Washington Law Help website.

Divorce cases

There is a 90-day waiting period to finalize your case. The 90-day period starts on the date of service/joinder, or date of filing (whichever is later). You must sign a Declaration in Lieu of Formal Proof form when submitting agreed final divorce documents. If you and the other party agree on everything, the facilitators can present your proposed final documents after the 91st day.

Cases involving children

You must complete and sign a parenting plan, child support order, and child support worksheet. Both parties must also attend and complete the "What about the Children" (parenting seminar) and file proof of completion in the court file. The court will not sign your final orders without this proof.

If you are finalizing by agreement and want a $0 transfer payment for child support, the Facilitators will review your documents. But you must schedule your own motion in front of your assigned judge to have the case completed.