Skip to main content

How-to resources for Family Law

Find guidance on processes involving children and families in Family Court including divorce, parenting plans, child support, guardianship, and orders.

The Family Law how-to's are not legal advice. If you need to consult with an attorney, you may wish to contact the King County Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service to receive an attorney referral.

The Facilitator's Office provides instruction packets to assist with filing court forms in the general topic areas listed below.

Blank copies of standard Court forms are available in both Word and PDF formats at:

Specific forms required by King County Local Rules may be accessed at Superior Court Forms - King County, Washington.

If you have questions about which forms you should use, or how to obtain forms, please contact the Family Law Facilitators Office at Family Law Facilitators - King County, Washington.


restraining order is different from a civil protection order:

  • Visit the King County Superior Court Clerk's Office webpage for information on filing a civil protection order.
  • If you are looking for restraining order instructions, use the links below.

Ending a marriage

How to ask for a divorce, legal separation, or marriage annulment.

Parenting plans and child support

How to create a custody schedule or change an existing Superior Court Parenting Plan or Child Support Order.

Relocate with children

How to move with children, or object to a move, under the relocation statute.

Serve documents

Properly serve, or give, the other party documents for your court case by delivery, mail, or publication.

Motions and orders

How to file a general Family Law Motion, a motion in front of a judge, default, and dismissing a case. Also includes instructions for temporary order or restraining order and how to challenge or enforce an order.

Minor guardianship

How to create, contest, or respond to minor guardianships for those under 18-years-old.