Skip to main content
King County logo
Washington State Law gives people with criminal convictions ways to start over and clean up their record.

Not everyone can take advantage of these laws but if you have stayed out of trouble and think you have done everything the judge required - it's time to find out if you are eligible.

The Post-Conviction Assistance Unit may be able to assist you with:

  • Vacating old convictions
  • Figuring out your criminal conviction history
  • Locating and quashing old warrants

If you have a post-conviction question or issue take a look at the areas below and we will try to direct you to the appropriate place.

After reviewing the information relevant to you, if you believe you have gathered all your necessary paperwork, you can email it to and we will review your case.



Prosecuting Attorney - Post Conviction Unit

King County Office of Public Defense

Please be advised:

This website is designed to provide you with information only and does not provide any legal advice. If you need any legal advice please contact an attorney or the Office of Public Defense at 206-296-7662.

Was the warrant issued in either King County Superior Court or King County District Court?

Please contact us at and provide us with your name and the defendant’s case number if you have it. Feel free to include any other information that may be helpful such as whether you have been receiving any payments within the last year and if so the amounts. We will try to respond to your inquiry within 1 week.

Is the date of your offense prior to July of 2000?
Is this conviction for a felony offense?
Do you have more than one case in King County that you are seeking to vacate?

Please carefully review RCW 9.41.040(4) (EXTERNAL LINK) and consult with an attorney for any legal advice. If you wish to submit a request to restore your right to possess a firearm you must review the applicable law and file a petition to restore and submit a copy of the petition and a proposed order to our office. Make sure that you have filled these forms out completely and signed them. Forms may be obtained from your attorney, the King County Law Library or the Attorney’s information Bureau.

Please be aware that an individual may only petition a court of record (this means a superior court and not a district or municipal court) to have his or her right to possess a firearm restored only at: The court of record that ordered the petitioner's prohibition on possession of a firearm; or the superior court in the county in which the petitioner resides. If you do not have a King County Superior Court case number and you are moving to restore, you will need to obtain a civil cause number under which to file your petition. This civil King County cause number must be obtained directly from the King County Clerk’s Office.

*You must include the following documentation in support of your motion:

  1. Copy of the original Information;
  2. Copy of the Judgment and Sentence;
  3. Copy of the Satisfaction of Judgment (if applicable)
  4. Copy of a recent criminal history check;
  5. If your conviction was for a misdemeanor, you will need to attach proof that you completed all condition of sentence.

Please submit multiple requests at the same time as it will save time and we will review everything at once.

Necessary forms available at the Washington State Courts' website (EXTERNAL LINK)

Once you have reviewed the statute RCW 9.97.020 (EXTERNAL LINK) and completed all the forms and obtained all the supporting documentation for each case, you may email it to us at or mail the paperwork to us at:

King County Prosecuting Attorney-Post-Conviction Unit,
King County Courthouse
516 Third Avenue
Seattle, WA 98104

If you have any questions or need legal advice about this process please contact the Office.

Please click here for information on the No Contact Order recall process, and to find the forms you will need (under 'Domestic Violence No Contact Order Forms').

If you have any questions, please contact King County Superior Court .

You may send us an email at but please be advised that we cannot provide any legal advice. We will try our best to respond to any general inquiries but please understand that specific requests supported by documentation and a completed motion and order will take priority. For legal advice, you may also contact the King County Office of Public Defense at 206-296-7662.

King County Prosecutor
Dan Satterberg
Read Dan's Biography


Social media channels: