Skip to main content

How to vacate a criminal conviction

Learn how to check if your criminal conviction can be removed from your record and how to send in a request.

Highlight Banner

This page is not legal advice

Washington State Law and The Rules of Professional Conduct prohibit the King County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office from providing legal advice to members of the general public. If you require legal assistance, contact a public defender or the King County Bar Association.

Not all convictions can be vacated.

Check if you qualify by:

How to send in a request

If you are eligible, you can submit a request to the King County Prosecutor's Office.

Your request must include the 4 following documents:

  1. A copy of your Motion. (This form can be obtained from the Washington State Courts website. Be sure you are get the correct type. Misdemeanor and Felony cases use different forms.)
  2. A copy of your Proposed Order. (This form can be obtained from the Washington State Courts. Be sure you are get the correct type. Misdemeanor and Felony cases use different forms.)
  3. A recent Criminal History Check. (Contact the Washington State Patrol at 360-534-2000 for information about their services and fees.)
  4. Copies of the following documents from the criminal case you are trying to vacate:
    • The document called Information
    • The Judgment and Sentence
    • The Satisfaction of Judgment and Sentence (Be aware this only shows proof of completed financial obligations.)
    • Certificate of Discharge or Order of Dismissal or Termination Order (if such an order has been filed)
    • Any and all Orders of Modification of the Judgment and Sentence

The Prosecutor's Office and the Court must have proof that you completed all of the conditions in your judgment and sentence. This includes payment of all financial obligations.

To purchase copies of the court documents, you may contact the Superior Court Clerk's Office.

Send your request with all the needed documents to:

Post-Sentencing Unit
King County Prosecuting Attorney's Office
W554 King County Courthouse
516 Third Avenue Seattle, WA 98104-2316

After you submit your request

If you submit all of the above documents to the Post-Sentencing Unit and are eligible for the order you are requesting, the Post-Sentencing Unit will present the order to the appropriate court for approval. If the motion is granted, the Post-Sentencing Unit will file the originals with the Court and mail you a copy. If the Court denies your request, you will also be notified by mail of that decision.

If you are inquiring about "sealing your case" or "expunging," please contact an attorney. The Prosecutor's Office will return any motions that contain requests to seal or expunge. This language must be removed before your documents can be reviewed.