For-hire online training & examination
Study and test
To obtain a for-hire license, you must complete a training and exam. Please enter your name in these programs exactly how it shows on your driver's license.
The For-Hire eTraining is a self-paced online training to help you prepare for the for-hire driver's examination. Once you have completed all the sessions, you will receive an email confirmation of completion, which will also be sent to King County.
The Online For-Hire Examination is 40 questions on topics such as customer service, vehicle safety, and driver regulations. You will need to score 80% or greater to pass. Questions may require audio. You will have 45 minutes to complete the exam. King County will email you your score. Review the study guide and take the practice test before starting your exam.
Tips on how to prepare
- Be prepared! Before taking the exam, you must first review the study material and take the practice exam. Take the time to thoroughly review the material provided.
- Choose a comfortable location for taking the exam with good lighting and minimal distractions.
- Make sure to check electronic devices before using them for the e-training or online examination.
- View the exam as an opportunity to show how much you've studied and learned.
When logging into the test
- Take a moment to read and understand the General Overview and Terms of Agreement before proceeding.
- Verify your information has been accurately and completely filled out. Failing to do so may result in your score being voided. Please note that successfully passing the for-hire examination requires answering a minimum of 32 out of 40 questions correctly (minimum 80% passing grade).
- The log-in page requires a driver's license number -- be sure to enter all letters, numbers and special characters.
During the test
- Read the directions for the exam and each question carefully.
- Every question must be answered in order. You will not be allowed to review and/or change your previous answers.
- Manage your exam time -- don't spend too much time on a single question.
- Any unanswered exam questions will be counted as an incorrect answer.
- On difficult questions, eliminate as many incorrect answers as you can, then make an educated guess among those remaining.
- Don't panic, take a few deep breaths. Change positions to help you relax.