Skip to main content
King County logo

The Records Management Program provides a variety of resources related to different records management topics.  If you cannot find what you are looking for, check out a different page on this site or contact us.

Archival Transfers
Content Manager (CM)
Destruction Forms
Disaster Recovery
Disposition After Digitization (DAD)
Exiting Employee Tools
General Guidance and Advice
Legal Holds
New Employee Tools
Outlook/Email Tools and Tips
Physical Records Tools
Self-Assessment Tools
Shared Drive Review and Clean-up

New Employee Tools

These items are both a part of the New Employee Records Management Toolkit as described in Executive Policy INF-15-6-EP.

New Employee Onboarding Checklist (Word)
Basics of Records Management Brochure (PDF)
4 Essentials of Records Management (PDF)
4 Essentials of the Public Records Act (PDF)

Exiting Employee Tools

These items are both described as appendices to Executive Policy INF-15-5-EP.

Exiting Employee Checklist (PDF) (Word)

Destruction Forms

For destructions performed in-house by your agency or an external vendor, use:
  • Agency Destruction Form (Word, 36KB)
    * Note, this form is not required for the destruction of Transitory Records or Secondary Copies. You may destroy those yourself with no documentation.

For records sent to and destroyed by the Records Center, use:

  • Records Center Destruction Form (Word, 28KB)
    * This form is required for all records (including secondary copies or transitory records) destroyed by the Records Center.

These forms will need to be signed by your Disposition Authority.

Archival Records Transfers

The King County Archives will only accept transfer of records that have been appraised as archival. To request an appraisal, please contact the County Archivist at As of September 1, 2020, the Archives is no longer reviewing records in non-archival categories before disposition unless the agency requests an appraisal. For more information, review the Archives' memo (PDF) about this change and corresponding requirements and procedures. For help in determining whether to request an appraisal for records in non-archival categories, please review the below decision tree.

Use the below transfer agreement form only for records that have met the end of their retention requirements and have been appraised as archival. Please follow the below accessioning steps before packing your records or submitting the form. Send the completed form to

Note that a transfer form is not necessary for archival records stored at the King County Records Center or filed into Content Manager.

Note: Due to an ongoing capital improvement project, the King County Archives is not able to accession any records until the project is completed. If agencies do not have space to keep records onsite, and the records are past retention and appraised or scheduled as archival, there is an interim process (PDF) to send them for temporary storage at the Records Center. For electronic archival records that are past retention, agencies are encouraged to file them to Content Manager.

Disposition After Digitization (DAD) - aka Scanning and Tossing

Disposition After Digitization (DAD) Application (PDF)
Blanket Disposition After Digitization Preapproval  (PDF)
Approved DAD applications

Content Manager

Visit our Content Manager Job Aids page for Content Manager resources.

General Guidance and Advice

Legal Holds

To place a legal hold on any records in Content Manager, submit a Legal Hold Request Form located on the Content Manager Resources page.

Note that Records Management does not retain a list of all active legal holds. If you have any questions about a legal hold, contact the Prosecuting Attorney's Office or the relevant attorney directly.

Disaster Recovery

King County Records Disaster Salvation Package- How to care for damaged records based on their format and damage
(External Link) What to do with Wet Paper Records
(External Link) Salvage Water Damaged Collections

Looking for Records?

King County Archives - historical county records
Recorder's Office - recorded documents
Vital Statistics - birth and death records
Find Public Records - various county records
Public Records Program - submit a public disclosure request