Send/Retrieve a Box
The King County Records Center is the county's storage facility for inactive paper records. Use of the Records Center is governed by Executive Policy INF 15-2-1 (AEP). Boxes of records are managed by the physical records module of Content Manager.
These instructions are for King County employees to send or retrieve boxes that are still within their legal retention period and are in the legal custody of their agency.
1. Plan before you packInclude only one record series per box (no mixed series) and make sure the records are eligible for Records Center storage. You may need to review your retention schedule.
Storage eligibility requirements:
- records are primary copies
- records have met their cutoff date (i.e. Date Closed) and are no longer needed for agency business and are deemed inactive by the agency
- records have at least one calendar year left of their retention period
2. Box your records appropriately
- Use box #FEL-12772 available from Keeney's. This is the only box that the Records Center will accept. Do not send records in other boxes.
- Do not under-fill a box. It must be full with no more than 2 inches of free space to be accepted by the Records Center.
- Do not over-fill a box. All folders should fit inside comfortably.
- Do not include 3-ring binders, hanging file folders or large metal fasteners (binder clips)
3. Label your boxes
You must use box labels purchased online from the King County Print Shop . Project is called "Records Center Box Labels", they come in packages of 100.
- Enter the following information on each box label and affix it to the front of the box.
Department and Division - the agency that owns the box, example: DES-RALS-(ARMMS)
Description of Records - explanation or description of records in the box; which should usually be the same as the "Box Title" in Content Manager
Inclusive Dates - the date range of records within the individual box
Box Number - the Content Manager box number; an auto-generated 6-digit number with a "B" in front of it (you will have to go back to complete this after you have completed step 4).
Do not write any confidential information on the label.
Firmly affix the label to the front of the box (the short end of the box).
4. Enter your boxes in Content Manager
5. Request box pick up in Content Manager