Skip to main content

Superior Court Clerk Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

For most cases, visit the KC Script Portal and follow these instructions.

To obtain access to sealed documents or a sealed case, the Clerk must verify your identity. This can be done in-person at one of our courthouse locations or virtually. To visit us virtually, submit a records request through the KC Script Portal. After submitting, you will receive further instructions on how to meet with a clerk virtually.

Access to sealed and confidential records is only permitted to approved parties as mandated by the Court, statute and/or rule.

For sealed juvenile cases (case type 8) please go to the CCFJC Clerk’s office and they will give you instructions.

King County Superior Court Case numbers can be found by using the Case Search tool located in the KC Script Portal. You do not need to create an account to view case docket information. Confidential case information may not be accessible through the KC Script Portal.

For cases prior to 1979, there are limited microfiche records available to search online. Additional microfiche is available at the King County Superior Court Clerk's Office located at 516 Third Avenue, Room E609, Seattle, WA 98194.

If you would like to request court records but do not know the case number, the Clerk's Office staff can assist in your search at a rate of $30.00 per hour. Your request can be submitted through the KC Script Portal, or by phone at 206-477-0691, or by email at

Court dates for your specific case can be found in the KC Script Portal. You can view case docket information without creating an account. Court dates can be found on the Events tab.

For forms and instructions for filing, visit the Civil Protection Orders page.  

For commonly used local forms or Superior Court forms, visit this site. Additional information is provided on this site for other forms.

A list of filing fees for different types of Superior Court cases can be found on the Superior Court & Clerk’s Fee Information page.

To electronically file a new case, use the E-Filing application. For instructions on how to use our e-filing system, visit the Electronic Filing & Service page.

Attorneys are required to file electronically (See LGR 30). People without attorneys can either file electronically or can file in person or by mail.  

To file a new case, you will need to have the minimal required documents for that case type and the filing fee or a fee waiver. To find out what documents you need to file your case, click here.

To find the forms that you need to file a case, click here.

For help filing a family law case, click here.

Filing by mail? Send your completed forms to one of our three Superior Court Clerk offices. If a filing fee is required, include the appropriate payment and address your envelope ATTN: Cashiers. For a "received" stamped copy of your filed document, include a self-addressed stamped envelope and an extra copy of the document.

Questions about fee waivers? Click here

For certified, physical copies of marriage certificates from 1855 to the present, contact the King County Recorder’s Office or visit their office at the King Street Customer Service Center. Certified, physical copies from 1989 to the present are indexed and available to order on Landmark

Digitally certified, downloadable marriage certificates from 1855 to 2017 are available for purchase through the Washington State Digital Archives. Some federal government agencies may not accept a digitally certified copy, but all WA State agencies are required to accept them.

You must contact the Recorder’s Office to find out the process of obtaining a marriage license. They can be reached Monday through Friday, 9:00am-2:00pm at 206-477-9521 or

To pay online, visit the KC Script Portal. For instructions, go to this page.

To pay in-person, visit one of our three locations. Accepted in-person payment methods include cash, check, money order, cashier’s check or a credit or debit card. Checks must be from a Washington state bank with the payer's name and address printed on the check.

To pay via mail, payment must be in the form of a check, cashier’s check, or money order. Checks must be from a Washington state bank with the payer's name and address printed on the check. Be sure to include any applicable case number(s). Payment can be mailed to:

King County Clerk’s Office

516 Third Avenue, Room E-609

Seattle, WA 98104

If you received a jury summons from King County Superior Court, it is important that you read the full document carefully. Your response is due as soon as possible. You can reply to the Jury Summons through their online portal or call them directly at 206-477-1320. More information can be found here.

Information regarding jury summons from District Court can be found here.

In order to update a Superior Court case, the Clerk's Office will need the warrant returned from the Sheriff's Office or an order quashing the warrant from the court. For assistance on an existing warrant, visit this site.

If you have had an administrative court hearing for a Good to Go! penalty and you do not agree with the agency's decision, you may appeal to the Superior Court. 

After the administrative dispute hearing, you will receive a Final Order of Liability.  You have 30 days from the date of the final order to file your appeal with the Superior Court. You may file your appeal either in the Superior Court of the county where you live or in Thurston County Superior Court in Olympia. The action you will be filing is a new Administrative Law Review case and requires a civil filing fee (currently in King County, $240). The appeal document is called a "Petition for Review of an Administrative Order."

You may wish to consult with an attorney or visit the King County Law Library for assistance.

Please click HERE for a list of legal assistance resources.